Friday, October 26, 2018

Examining the Future of the Common Wealth

I chose to create a piece of electronic literature that takes you on a tour of Pennsylvania's lowest ranked public schools. I chose to do this because I am an education and special education major and my dream is to work in a high poverty school district. There is something about being that person for the students that keeps them going and lets them know that they can do anything they want in life.
With that being said, these schools that you will see in my piece have very low graduation rates and the one is not even able to afford a high school so after middle school they send their students to neighboring schools. The crime rate in these areas is very high as well. In the first school you will come across, Wilkinsburg, the city of Wilkinsburg has a 57% higher crime rate than the national average. Due to the low graduation rates, that is causing the students that do not graduate to find alternative ways of income, which leads to higher risk of crime, as seen in the Wilkinsburg case. This piece was not made to offend anyone if they attended any of these schools, I just wanted to lay out the statistics because I saw them and was in complete shock. I also highlighted the Common Core state averages so that the viewers are able to compare the statistics to a state average. Education is something that is very important to me and I wish that every student could have an equal opportunity. I hope you enjoy Examining the Future of the Common Wealth !




Works cited:

*I used the Wikipedia pages for all the schools*


No comments:

Post a Comment